The 37th annual R.A. Brown Ranch Sale was like an oasis in the desert at Throckmorton, Texas.
Optimism was brightened with a general 3- to 6-inch rain throughout the region just four days before the fall sale.
The quality was impressive throughout, and there were bulls in everyone’s price range with 62 bulls selling from $1,500 to $2,750. In addition:
• 171 bulls sold from $3,000 to $3,750
• 125 bulls sold from $4,000 to 4,750
• 55 bulls sold for more than $4,750
Longtime customer Bridwell Ranches of Wichita Falls, Texas, represented by Gary Shores, was the volume buyer of the day with 46 Red Angus bulls.
• Annual R.A. Brown Ranch Sale garnered top averages.
• Timely rainfall added extra momentum to beefed-up sale.
• Sale pulled ranchers from across U.S. and foreign nations.
The sale was broadcast live on Superior via RFD-TV, which helped bring buyers from all over the nation, with Pearce Cattle Co. of Florida buying 18 bulls; H.R.
Stasney & Sons, represented by Morris D. Snyder, taking 16 to Missouri; John Lacy and Dave Wood getting 15 bulls for their Tejon Ranch in California; and Robert Lewis, DVM, taking 10 bulls to Louisiana.
Volume buyers in Texas included Frank Green of Liberty, with 14 bulls; Bob Samuel of Madisonville, with 12 bulls; and Cook Canyon Ranch of Ranger, with 10 bulls.
Samuel has purchased bulls in all 37 of R.A. Brown’s annual bull sales.
U.S., Mexico and Brazil
Angus, Red Angus, SimAngus and Hotlander cattle were sold to 147 bull buyers from 22 states, Mexico and Brazil:
• 147 Red Angus bulls averaged $3,695 per bull
• 147 Angus bulls averaged $3,685
• 85 SimAngus bulls averaged $3,470
• 11 Black Red Angus bulls averaged $3,590
• 24 Red Angus herd sires averaged $9,375
• six Angus herd sires averaged $8,170
• four SimAngus herd sires averaged $6,625
• three Black AR bred heifers averaged $4,000
• nine Red Angus open heifers averaged $4,390
Also, 13 horses averaged $955.
Highlights of the Angus Bulls are:
• Lot 1. RAB JR. TITAN 3046X, a Final Answer out of an Analyst, sold to Roger Sosa, Alta Genetics for $12,500.
• Lot 6. RAB FINAL ANSWER 344X, a Final Answer out of a Predestined, sold to Roger Sosa, Alta Genetics, for $10,500.
• Lot 16. RAB-GAR QUANAH 4360X, a GAR Quanah out of a Rito 1i2, sold to Terry Spears of Vernon, Texas, for $9,500.
• Lot 76. RAB-GAR NEW STANDARD 4329X, a New Standard out of an Objective, sold to David Worden of Cooper, Texas, for $5,750.
Red Angus bull highlights:
• Lot 207. BROWN ULTIMATE X7752, a Nebula MO45 out of an Objective daughter of AbiGrace, sold to ABS Global, Deforest, Wis., for $19,000.
• Lot 202. BROWN SUPREME X7878, a Nebula P707 out of a Destination, sold to Raymond Pritchard, Mountain View, Okla.; 3J Farms, Ravia, Okla.; and Sheppard Settlement Farm, Marcellus, N.Y., for $16,000.
• Lot 203. BROWN PARA-MOUNT X7879, a Nebula P707 out of Destination, sold to Broseco Ranches, Omaha, Texas, and Cedar Hill Farm, Jane Lew, W.Va., for $14,500.
• Lot 204. BROWN PREMIER X7876, a Nebula P707 out of a Destination, sold to Brent Howard, Beaver, Okla., for $14,500.
• Lot 255. BROWN/BOLA REVELATION, a Revelation out of a Julian B571, sold to Overmiller Red Angus, Smith Center, Kan., for $13,000.
• Lot 279. BROWN P707 X7870, a Nebula P707 out of a Mission Statement, sold to 3K Land & Cattle, Justin, Texas, and Koester Red Angus, Steele, N.D., for $12,750.
SimAngus bull highlights include:
• Lot 411. DDR-RAB DESTINED X8516, (¾ AN and ¼ SM) Predestined out of an Objective, sold to ABS Global, Deforest, Wis., for $10,000.
• Lot 412. RAB S297 X9905, a SSF Blk Lky Charm S297 out of a Solution, sold to Jack Nichols, San Augustine, Texas, for $5,750.
• Lot 426. RAB QUANAH X9898, a GAR Quanah out of a 600U, sold to Morris D. Snyder, Albany, Texas, for $5,250.
Top Red Angus females include:
• Lot 518. BROWN MS. MISSION STMNT Y7762, a Mission Statement out of a Vacation, sold to Carson Ballinger, Morgan Mill, Texas, for $6,750.
• Lot 517. LCS 010, Final Answer out of a Cheyenne, sold to James Doss of Rockdale, Texas, for $5,000.
• Lot 527. BROWN MS. TURBO Y6671, a Turbo out of a Lancer 806, sold to John Graves of Perryton, Texas, for $5,000.
Two Premier Red Angus Donors sold privately to Don and Denise Ferrill of Fort Worth. C-Bar and Brown AbiGrace T714 is an AbiGrace daughter sired by Mission Statement that sold for $50,000, and Brown Ms. L806 S6944, a paternal sister to Mission Statement and Commitment, sold for $22,500.
Highlights of the quarter horse weanlings include:
• Lot 1. RAB LADY LIBERTY, a Little Twistin Juan gray filly, sold to Randy and Dana McBroom, Bonham, Texas, for $1,700.
• Lot 11. RAB SUN O ROSE, a Sun O Lena Ray sorrel stallion, sold to Randy and Dana McBroom, for $1,350.
• Lot 7. RAB LENA ROCK, a Sun O Lena Ray gray stallion, sold to Ron Rollins, Bennington, Okla., for $1,300.
Brown is with R.A. Brown Ranch, Throckmorton, Texas.