Key USDA officials will address producers' conservation questions face-to-face inside the Conservation Central tent, located on lot 817, at the 2010 Farm Progress Show in Boone. The 3-day show runs August 31 through September 2.
John Whitaker, state executive director of the Farm Services Agency (FSA) in Iowa, will be at the tent during the following times: Aug 31 and Sept. 1, 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m.; and Sept. 2 from 9 a.m. to noon. Rich Sims, state conservationist with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in Iowa will be available Aug. 31, from 9 a.m. to noon.
All kinds of "hoopla" at this year's Conservation Central exhibit
Conservation Central is home to all kinds of "hoopla" at this year's Farm Progress Show. The conservation-themed area, will feature a working high tunnel structure, also known as a hoop building. Hosted by the Boone County Soil and Water Conservation District, along with Iowa State University Extension and ClearSpan Fabric Structures International of Dyersville, the high tunnel hoop building was built during a demonstration at the site on June 29. USDA offers financial and technical assistance to producers for high tunnels through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP).
At Conservation Central's other outdoor displays producers can manage residue to increase their bottom line, while adding organic matter to the soil and controlling erosion. Other outdoor features include:
• Iowa Learning Farm's new Conservation Station, which features hands-on interactive education opportunities about soil and water conservation.
• A demonstration of antique conservation equipment coordinated by the Conservation Districts of Iowa. Equipment includes a Whirlwind terracer machine.
Conservation Central includes a core group of USDA, state and private conservation groups to address producer questions about soil conservation, water quality, wildlife habitat, USDA Farm Bill programs, and other natural resources conservation issues.
• Conservation Districts of Iowa (CDI)
• Boone County Soil and Water Conservation District
• Iowa Association of Water Agencies (IAWA)
• Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, Division of Soil Conservation (DSC)
• Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
• Iowa Rural Water Association (IRWA) new!
• Land Improvement Contractors of America, Iowa Chapter (LICA) new!
• Soil and Water Conservation Society, Iowa Chapter (SWCS)
• Trees Forever (TF)