The 2014 Vermont Farm Show returns to the Champlain Valley Fair Grounds in Essex Junction, Vt., next week. The three-day event runs from Tuesday, Jan. 28 through Thursday, Jan. 30.
The show is many different things to our diverse agricultural population, according to Show Manager Jackie Folsom. "This gathering exemplifies both the spirit of Green Mountain agriculture and our shared rural heritage, linking the past to the future," she says.
With more than 150 agricultural vendors and 15 farm organization meetings scheduled, there's something for every interest and age. Once central event is Consumer Night, held on Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 4 to 7 p.m. The Buy Local Market will showcase foods and products from Vermont farms. And, the "Capital Cook-off," an Iron Chef-type competition will be held at the same time, featuring Vermont legislators and Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets officials.
Here's a quick list of meetings and events, plus starting times during the show:
Tuesday, Jan. 28
* Vt./N.H. Christmas Tree Association meeting: 8:30 a.m.
* Vt. Beekeepers Association meeting: 8:30 a.m.
* Vt. Sheep and Goat Association meeting: 10 a.m.
* Vt. Maple Sugar Makers Association meeting and banquet: Noon
* Vt. Alpaca Association meeting: 2 p.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 29
* FFA meeting and competitions: 8:30 a.m.
* Vt. Council on Rural Development: 9 a.m.
* Vt. Beef Producers Association meeting: 1:30 p.m.
* FFA Foundation Board meeting: 1:30 p.m.
* Vt. Organic Farmer Association meeting: 10 a.m.
* Vermont Technical College Alumni Association reception: Noon
* Vt. Specialty Foods Association board meeting: 2 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 30
* Update on Dairy Issues workshop: 10 a.m.
* FSA board meeting: 10 a.m.
* Vt. Dairy Industry Association banquet: Noon
Vermont Farm Show is again partnering with Vermont Food Bank to boost food supplies for the needy. While show admission is free, visitors are asked to donate canned or boxed goods at the front door of the Miller Building.
For a list of 2014 exhibitors plus links to more ag event details, visit www.vtfarmshow.com.