Sakata Seed Corporation, Morgan Hill, a wholesale seed company with a rich history of breeding and producing breakthrough vegetable and flower varieties, will celebrate 100 years in business in 2013. Sakata Seed Corporation is proud to join the ranks of those few companies that have celebrated this milestone.
Sakata Seed Corporation was founded in June of 1913 and is headquartered in Yokohama, Japan. It is now recognized as a global leader in the development of innovative vegetables and flowers genetics. Sakata is organized into four major divisions operating in Asia, South America, Europe, and North and Central America and has presence in more than thirty-two countries.
Sakata Seed America, Inc. was established in 1977, and is now a major research, seed production and marketing-distribution subsidiary of Sakata Seed Corporation. Sakata Seed America serves as the headquarters for the North and Central American operations. Sakata America Holding Company Inc. was formed in 2010 to serve as the parent holding company for all of Sakata's businesses in North America and Central America, including Sakata Seed America, Alf Christianson Seed Company, Sakata Seed de Mexico and Sakata Seed de Guatemala. Sakata is very proud of the value represented throughout North and Central America by the Sakata and Chriseed brands.
Sakata Seed America President/CEO Dave Armstrong expresses his thoughts about the 100th Anniversary, "A century of continuity in business matters to our customers; Sakata has not only survived through world wars, economic crises and natural disasters, but has continuously adapted, creating new standards in both vegetables and ornamentals product lines. In a global marketplace characterized by intensive consolidation, Sakata stands as a symbol of independence, innovation and reliability."
Sakata wishes to thank its staff, customers, growers and other industry members all over the world – since Sakata owes so much to them for their longevity and success.
Key Events in Sakata Seed History:
* 1913: Takeo Sakata founded Sakata Noen – now known as Sakata Seed Corporation
* 1943: WWII conflicts caused Sakata to safeguard seed stock by sending it to Canadian partners, including Stokes' Seeds
* 1965: Takeo Sakata awarded All-America Selections Medallion of Honor for his exemplary work in the ornamentals industry
*1977: Sakata Seed America was established
* 1985 Opened the Salinas Research Station in California
* 1988: The Morgan Hill office opened, becoming the Sakata America headquarters
* 2003: Acquired Alf Christianson Seed Company
* 2010: Established Sakata America Holding Company, Inc.
* 2011: Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan, which caused no significant damage to Sakata's business or personal injury to staff