By Steve Byrns
The Rolling Plains Wheat Conference conducted by Texas AgriLife Extension Service is 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 6 in the Multi-Purpose Events Center in Wichita Falls, Texas.
Texas Commissioner of Agriculture Todd Staples is keynote speaker and will discuss top issues. Other topics and presenters include:
- Soil Fertility and Economics of Fertilizer, Dr. Robert Lemon, AgriLife Extension agronomist, College Station.
- Why Don't We Have Genetically Modified Organisms in Wheat? Dr. Art Klatt, professor, plant breeding, Oklahoma State University, will tackle that.
- Weed and Disease Management and 2008 Wheat Variety Results. Dr. Todd Baughman, AgriLife Extension agronomist, Vernon.
- Marketing Grain in Turbulent Times, Darrell Holiday, of Advanced Marketing Concepts, Manhattan, Kansas.
- Grain versus Grazing - What's the Economic Truth? Stan Bevers, AgriLife Extension economist, Vernon, will examine both alternatives.
Host for the event are the AgriLife Extension offices in Wichita, Wilbarger, Archer and Clay counties.
Registration, which includes a noon meal, is $20.
For more, contact Wichita County AgriLife Extension Agent Miles Dabovich at 940-716-8610.
- Steve Byrns is with Texas AgriLife Communications, San Angelo.