Lt. Governor Kathy Davis, Indiana's Commissioner of Agriculture, will recognize 40 Indiana farmers with an environmental award recognizing their work to promote protection of Indiana's natural resources during Farmers' Day at the Indiana State Fair on August 18.
"The River Friendly Farmer Award is given annually to producers whose farming practices protect our water resources," says Davis. "Indiana's economic growth is certainly dependent on the value andcare we put into protecting the environment. These producers represent anindustry where soil and water stewardship is paramount, and I'm proud to bepart of the upcoming awards ceremony that showcases these efforts."
Since 1999, key agricultural organizations have sponsored the River Friendly Farmer (RFF) Program. The statewide initiative recognizes farmers, who through good production management practices helps keep Indiana's rivers, lakes and streams clean. Program sponsors include the:
"We are excited to have 40 recipients this year who exemplify the goals of the RFF program," says Indiana Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts President Sherm Bryant. "It is a tremendous honor this year to include Senator Richard Lugar's Marion County farm among the recipients," Bryant adds, "as well as Eli Lilly and Company's farm at the Tippecanoe Laboratory, and the Convent of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ in Marshall County.
The 2004 RFF nominees are:
- Bartholomew County, James Puckett
- Daviess County, Amzy Wagler, Wagler & Son Farm
- Dekalb County, Kevin Bowman, Bowman and Bowman Farms
- Dekalb County, Daniel Fry, Fry Farms
- Dubois County, James & Doris Eck
- Dubois County, Jack Welp, Welp Farm & Greenhouse
- Elkhart County, Robert Geiger
- Fayette County, Brad & Daryl Starr, Starr Farms
- Fayette County, Douglas Pflum
- Gibson County, Bob Townsend
- Huntington County, Joe Landrum
- Jackson County, Robert Thompson
- Jasper County, Suzanne Swanson, Lady Bug House & Farm
- Jennings County, Gerald Helt
- Kosciusko County, John Parker
- Kosciusko County, Dennis Walther
- LaGrange County, Harry Stutzman, Jr.
- LaGrange County, David Perkins
- Lawrence County, Dean Stewart, Stewart Farms
- Marion County, Senator Richard Lugar
- Marshall County, Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ (Ancilla Domini
- Noble County, John Metzger, Metzger Farms
- Noble County, Dennis Ott, Ott Farms, Inc.
- Ohio County, Lloyd Stephenson
- Ohio County, David Monroe
- Orange County, Ben Lindsey
- Posey County, Ryan, Tom & Russell Benton
- Scott County, Bryan Richey
- Scott County, Ted Davisson
- Scott County, Ron Weir
- Spencer County, Scott Singleton
- Spencer County, Matthew Feldpausch
- Starke County, Phillip Brown
- Starke County, James Mickow, Mickow Farm, Inc.
- Tippecanoe County, Eli Lilly & Company, Tippecanoe Laboratories Farm
- Vanderburgh County, Daniel Kercher
- Vermillion County, Marvin & Carroll Milligan, Milligan Farms
- Wells County, James Wenger
- Whitley County, Roy Pontzius
- Whitley County, Bob Egolf