Missed going to North Dakota State University (NDSU) research center field days this summer?You can now get to them all this winter â€“ from the comfort of your office.
NDSU has launched a Web site features video shot from 2003 Field Days throughout the state. A text version is also available.
The video and text is available at the NDSU Research Extension Center Web site at: www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/research.htm. Click on 2003 Field Days. Or go to the Web site www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/afsnr/rec-days/index.html.
You can find information on the site about a wide variety of topics, from cattle to the latest crop varieties. You also can choose whether you would like to view the videos from a particular Research Extension Center such as Carrington or by topic, such as wheat or barley. The researchers involved and their topics include:
- Bob Henson, Carrington REC â€“ Chickpea and niger thistle
- Chet Hill, Williston REC -- Value added agriculture
- Chip Poland, Dickinson REC â€“ Lay farming concept and utilizing pastures to shorten beef cattle confinement time.
- Dave Franzen, NDSU soil scientist â€“ Soil management and intensive wheat.
- Dean Steele, NDSU agricultural engineering â€“ Furrow and hill potatoes.
- Elias Elias, NDSU durum breeder â€“ Durum varieties.
- Eric Ericksmoen, Hettinger REC â€“ Increasing canola production and twin row corn.
- Greg Endres, Carrington REC â€“ Intensive wheat management.
- Jan Knodel, North Central REC in Minot â€“ Canola late season pests and grasshoppers.
- Jerry Franckowiak, NDSU barley breeder â€“ Barley crops.
- Jim Hammond, NDSU flax breeder â€“ Neche flax.
- Jimmie Richardson, NDSU soil scientist â€“ Root development.
- Lee Manske, Dickinson REC â€“ Grazing management practices.
- Luis Del Rio, NDSU dry bean pathologist â€“ Dry bean diseases.
- Marcelo Carena, NDSU corn breeder â€“ Goals of the cornbreeding program.
- Mark Halvorson, North Central REC in Minot â€“ Ascochyta blight control in chickpea and pulse crops.
- Mike McMullen, NDSU oat breeder â€“ Characteristics of newer oat varieties.
- Paul Schwarz, NDSU barley quality chemist â€“ Malting barley quality.
- Randy Mehlhoff, Langdon REC â€“ New facility at the Center.
- Rich Horsley, NDSU barley breeder â€“ New six-row varieties.
- Roger Ashley, Dickinson REC â€“ Soil-borne pathogens in winter wheat.
- Ron Smith, NDSU horticulturist â€“ Various horticultural topics.
- Stephen Neate, NDSU barley pathologist â€“ Barley diseases.
- Vern Anderson, Carrington REC â€“ Economics of wheat straw in cattle pens and using fly ash in feedlots.
- Vern Hofman, NDSU agricultural engineer â€“ New sprayer concepts for disease control.
- Doug Landblom, Dickinson REC â€“ Creep feeding.
- Kevin Sedivec, NDSU range management specialist â€“ Drought management and native and tame grass management.
- Mohamed Mergoum, NDSU hard red spring wheat breeder â€“ Wheat variety performance.
- Phil Glogoza, NDSU entomologist â€“ European corn bore and soybean aphid management.
- Doug Landblom, Dickinson REC â€“ Weaning transitions and other projects