North Carolina's Commissioner of Agriculture Steve Troxler has been elected to serve as the 2012-2013 president of the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture.
NASDA members elected Troxler in Des Moines, Iowa, at the association's annual meeting, held Sept. 12-17. As president, Troxler's duties include leading the group's 10-member board of directors over the next 12 month period.
Troxler noted he was honored by the election.
"It's going to be a challenging year leading this organization as my colleagues and I work to obtain congressional approval of the next farm bill," Troxler said. "We also must push Congress to reform federal programs dealing with agricultural guest workers."
Troxler is the fifth N.C. agriculture commissioner to lead NASDA. The last N.C. commissioner to be honored with the office was the late Jim Graham, who served as NASDA president in 1978-1979.
NASDA is composed of the departments of agriculture in all 50 states and the territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It represents state departments of agriculture in the development, implementation and communication of public policy and programs that support and promote American agriculture while protecting consumers and the environment.
Prior to his election as NASDA president, Troxler served as first vice president of the association. He chairs its Food Regulation and Nutrition Committee, the Tobacco Task Force and Ag Military Partnership Task Force. In 2010-11 Troxler served as president of the regional group, the Southern Association of State Departments of Agriculture.
Troxler has been North Carolina's agriculture commissioner since 2005.
Besides President Troxler, other members on the 2012-2013 Board of Directors include:
• Vice President, Secretary Chuck Ross, Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets
• Second Vice President, Chairperson Russell Kokubun, Hawaii Department of Agriculture
• Secretary-Treasurer, Director Greg Ibach, Nebraska Department of Agriculture
• Past President, Secretary Bill Northey, Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
• At-Large, Commissioner Leonard Blackham, Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
• Northeastern Region, Commissioner Lorraine Merrill, New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food
• Southern Region, Commissioner Michael Strain, Louisiana Department of Agriculture & Forestry
• Midwestern Region, Commissioner Doug Goehring, North Dakota Department of Agriculture
• Western Region, Director Franci Havemeister, Alaska Department of Natural Resources Division of Agriculture
NASDA was formed in 1916 in Washington, D.C. North Carolina was one of the 14 original member states.
For more information on the national association, visit www.nasda.org