The school served as the public high school for 31 years and then as a junior high and later middle school for another 51 years. The building embodies the traditional characteristics of the Collegiate Gothic style with its red brick exterior and stone detailing, multiple gable roofs, and pointed arches.
At the time of its opening, the school's design reflected the latest trends in school planning with separate auditorium and gymnasium spaces and specialized classrooms for the manual training and domestic science departments. It was nominated as part of the Historic Public Schools of Kansas multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of education and architecture.
Naomi & Leona Apartment Buildings, 509 & 507 S. Market St., Wichita, Sedgwick County
The Naomi and Leona Apartment Buildings were built in 1926 and 1927, respectively, by property developer and contractor Oliver J. Mourning. The buildings feature the same design and appearance. Mourning named the Leona apartments after his daughter and the Naomi apartments after his mother, but by 1939, the buildings had different owners and were known by different names.
The identical brick buildings are two-stories each with a flat roof, full-width one-story front porch, and a second-story balcony. Each building reflects the Neoclassical style, which is evident in the symmetrical facade and dentiled cornice. Located just five blocks south of Douglas Avenue, a main thoroughfare through Wichita's central business district, the buildings featured 24 units, each with a fireplace and private bath and kitchen amenities.
Tenants were mostly single women, with some single men and married couples. The buildings were nominated as part of the Residential Resources of Wichita multiple property nomination for their local significance in the areas of architecture and community planning and development.
Ellington Apartment Building, 514 S. Main St., Wichita, Sedgwick County
Wichita developer and contractor John Wenzel built the Ellington Apartment Building at the height of an apartment construction boom in 1927. Architect Walter V. Street designed this two-story brick building, which exhibits restrained elements of the Neoclassical style.