Today, the farmstead is owned by the Mitchell County Historical Society and includes 6.8 acres with a limestone house, barn ruins, water tower, washhouse, granary, and outhouse ruins. The Gothic Revival house was constructed circa 1880 and features ornate window hoods, dressed sills and quoins that is likely the work of Joseph Hill, a locally well-known 19th century stone mason. The house is an excellent representation of early construction in Mitchell County.
The later wood frame washhouse, granary, and outhouse demonstrate the evolution of the farmstead into the early 20th century. The property was nominated as part of the Historic Agriculture-Related Resources of Kansas multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of agriculture and architecture.
McNee Barns, Hwy. 50, three miles south of Elmdale in Chase County
The McNee Barns are located in the Kansas Flint Hills in the west-central portion of Chase County. The nominated property, which has been owned by the McNee family since 1916, includes four historic resources: a circa 1920 horse barn, a 1948 boxcar barn, a dry-laid stone fence, and an Aermotor windmill.
The horse barn is characterized by its roof shape. It has a gable roof with one-story shed bays on the east and west sides forming a broken gable roofline. In addition to the original horse stalls, the interior of the barn features a loafing shed, two granaries, and a few cattle stalls and milking stanchions.
The upper floor of the barn is a full height haymow with a hay hood and hinged hay door at the north gable end. A second smaller barn is made of two parallel railroad boxcars with a gable roof enclosing a center bay between the cars.
The boxcars were obtained from the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway likely following World War II and placed on stone footings to serve as space for hay storage. The property was nominated as part of the Historic Agriculture-Related Resources of Kansas multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of agriculture and architecture.
Belleville High School, 915 W 18th St., Belleville, in Republic County. The residents of Belleville voted in favor of $115,000 in local bonds to finance the construction of a new high school in 1931. Wichita architect Samuel S. Voigt designed the Collegiate Gothic-style building, and Hoisington contractor Alex Helwig oversaw its construction.