A Mitchell County farmstead is the latest Kansas property to join the National Register of Historic Places. Three Wichita apartment buildings and private residences in Wamego and Douglass, along with two barns in Chase County and a former high school in Belleville were also added to the Register on June 25.
Kansas now has 1,317 properties included on the National Register list.
The National Register is maintained by the National Park Service. It was created by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 and is part of a nationwide program that coordinates public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.
Eligible properties must be significant for one or more of the four criteria for evaluation. Properties can be eligible if they are associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history. They can be eligible if they are associated with the lives of persons significant in our past. Distinctive construction can qualify properties for the National Register if they embody the characteristic of a type, period, or method of construction, or represent the work of a master, or possess high artistic values, or represent a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction. Lastly, properties may be eligible for the National Register if they have yielded or may be likely to yield information important in prehistory or history. The National Register recognizes properties of local, statewide, and national significance.
Details of the new listings include:
The Abram Click Farmstead, 2030 Independence Ave., Beloit, in Mitchell County
It is a collection of six historic farm resources located at the southeast corner of K-14 and U.S. Hwy. 24 on the northwest edge of Beloit.
Click was a native of Kentucky and was living in the Beloit area as early as 1973. He came with a influx of new residents that migrated to the area between 1870 and 1880. He obtained his patent for 40 acres in 1880, but he sold the improved land in 1883. The property continued to function as a farmstead through the 1980s.