Michigan's total hog and pig inventory on June 1 was estimated at 1.04 million head, up 20,000 from a year ago, according to Jay Johnson, Director of the USDA, NASS, Great Lakes Region. Breeding hog inventory, at 110,000 head, was unchanged from last June. Market hog inventory, at 930,000 head, was up 20,000 from last year.
United States inventory of all hogs and pigs on June 1, 2013 was 66.6 million head. This was down slightly from June 1, 2012, but up 2% from March 1, 2013. Breeding inventory, at 5.88 million head, was up slightly from last year, and up 1% from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was down slightly from last year, but up 2% from last quarter.
The March 2013-May 2013 pig crop, at 30.1 million head, was up slightly from 2012. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.92 million head, down 2% from 2012. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50% of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 10.31 for the March-May period, compared to 10.09 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.70 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 10.40 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs.
United States hog producers intend to have 2.93 million sows farrow during the June-August 2013 quarter, down slightly from the actual farrowings during the same period in 2012, and down slightly from 2011. Intended farrowings for September-November 2013, at 2.92 million sows, are up 1% from 2012, but down slightly from 2011. The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with over 5,000 head, but raised by contractees, accounted for 46 percent of the total United States hog inventory, down from 47% last year.