FSA: Keep Records of Weather-Related Losses

Both versions of Farm Bill contain reauthorization of lapsed disaster programs, but you'll need good records to be eligible for aid.

Published on: Dec 10, 2013

Aaron Krauter, head of the USDA Farm Service Agency in North Dakota, is urging crop and livestock producers who suffered losses due to natural disaster to keep thorough records of all losses, including livestock death losses, as well as expenses for such things as feed purchases and extraordinary costs because of lost supplies or increased transportation costs.

Both versions of the pending Farm Bills contain a reauthorization of the lapsed disaster programs such as the Livestock Indemnity Program that are retroactive for losses occurring from October 2011, he says.

"We're optimistic that a Farm Bill will be passed and we'll be able to provide that strong safety net for producers," Krauter says. "While we can't accept documentation in FSA offices until the programs are reauthorized, it's extremely important that farmers and ranchers affected by adverse weather events keep thorough records of their losses."

Cattle lie in a ditch where they died in an October blizzard. Photo: Kindra Gordon
Cattle lie in a ditch where they died in an October blizzard. Photo: Kindra Gordon

Related: What USDA Farm Service Agency Can Do For You

Owners and producers should record all pertinent information of natural disaster consequences, including:

•Documentation of the number and kind of livestock that have died, supplemented if possible by photographs or video records of ownership and losses.
•Dates of death supported by birth recordings or purchase receipts.
•Costs of transporting livestock to safer grounds or to move animals to new pastures.
•Feed purchases if supplies or grazing pastures are destroyed.
•Crop records, including seed and fertilizer purchases, planting and production records
•Pictures of on-farm storage facilities that were destroyed by an adverse weather event.
•Evidence of damaged farm land

Related: Find Your Local FSA By State

Producers with damaged farmland should contact their local FSA office regarding the Emergency Conservation Program, and producers with private forest land should contact FSA regarding the Emergency Forest Reserve Program.

Source: ND Farm Service Agency

You Might Be Interested In:
Sequester Trims FSA Marketing Loans By 5.1%
FSA Has New Farm Loan Programs Available
FSA Explains How Farm Numbers Are Assigned
Provide FSA With Accurate Info
USDA: It’s Not Just For Farmers
Inform Local FSA Of New Acres
Beginning farmer loan Basics