Last week, Dr. Peter Woolley of the PublicMind Poll at Fairleigh Dickinson University issued the results of New Jersey Farm Bureau's annual consumer opinion poll. The results:
• Some 60% know that the "Garden State" nickname refers to farming.
• Close to 73% have "a lot" of confidence in the safety of locally grown Jersey Fresh produce.
• About 60% of New Jerseyans say it's "very important" to buy local grown fruits and vegetables when they're in season.
• Some 83% say someone in their family had purchased Jersey Fresh produce from a farm stand or farmers market in the past three months.
• Just over 60% of all surveyed said the presence of brochures or farm signage has at least some impact on their decision to buy local produce.
• And, 85% want to see more Jersey Fresh produce served in public school meals, even if it costs slightly more.