Landowners, tenants and others interested in farmland ownership, management and leasing agreements should plan to attend one of the farmland leasing meetings scheduled for July and August. The workshops, conducted by Iowa State University Extension farm management specialists, will be held at various locations and dates across the state.
Due to increases in land values and cash rents, there is heightened awareness in farm leasing arrangements, notes William Edwards, Iowa State University Extension economist. He says the workshops will last about three hours and provide each attendee with a set of useful materials and information to take home and use. A 100-page workbook will be provided, one per registrant.
Topics to be covered include comparisons of different types of leases, lease termination options, how to calculate a fair cash rent, impacts of yields and prices with different types of leases, etc. Following are some of the meeting dates and locations for central Iowa. More will be announced soon for other locations around the state. Check weekly on the ISU Ag Decision Maker website at www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm and look under the July newsletter for updated meeting information.
Meeting dates, locations and other leasing information on Ag Decision Maker site
There are also a number of ISU Extension web-based resources that have to do with farmland leasing listed on the Ag Decision Maker site. You can contact your ISU Extension county office for information on registering for the meeting nearest you. Those phone numbers for central Iowa are listed below.
* Boone: Tuesday July 31, 9 a.m. at Boone County Fairgrounds, 515-432-3882
* Knoxville: Wednesday August 1, 9 a.m. at Marion County Extension office, 641-842-2014
* Altoona: Wednesday August 1, 7 p.m. at Polk County Extension office, 515-957-5760
* Grinnell: Thursday August 2, 7 p.m. at Drake Public Library, 641-623-5188
* Adel: Friday August 3, 9 a.m. at Adel Public Library, 515-993-4281
* Nevada: Monday August 6, 9 a.m. at Story County Extension office, 515-382-6551
* Newton: Monday August 6, 7 p.m. at Newton DMACC Campus, 641-792-6433
* Indianola: Wednesday August 8, 9 a.m. at Warren County Farm Bureau, 515-961-6237
* Marshalltown: Thursday August 23, 7 p.m. at Marshall County Extension office, 641-752-1551
* Winterset: Friday August 24, 9 a.m. at Winterset Public Library, 515-462-1001