Here's Your Chance to Join Soybean Board

Kansas Soybean Commission will pick two candidates for available spot on United Soybean Board; U.S. secretary will name new member.

Published on: Apr 4, 2011

The Kansas Soybean Commission is seeking qualified candidates to serve as one of its representatives to the United Soybean Board. Any Kansas-resident soybean farmer is eligible.

KSC will nominate at least two individuals for the available position, and the U.S. secretary of agriculture will appoint one of the candidates to USB. KSC intends to select its nominees in April.

The individual appointed to USB will serve a three-year term beginning in December. That person will be eligible to serve up to two additional USB terms.

"Serving on the United Soybean Board is a worthwhile endeavor," said Bob Haselwood, a soybean farmer from Berryton who is chairman of KSC and a USB director. "The national soybean checkoff is such an effective, efficient force in promotion, research and consumer information because it is farmer-driven. We encourage any soybean farmer interested in the success of the U.S. soybean industry to apply."

Candidates should possess strong leadership skills and be able to devote the time to attend six to 10 USB meetings and other events each year. USB directors are volunteers and are reimbursed for travel and out-of-pocket expenses. They do not receive a per diem or salary.

Legislation creating the national soybean checkoff and authorizing USB was part of the 1990 farm bill. Since Sept. 1, 1991, farmers nationwide have contributed 0.5 percent of the price per bushel of soybeans to fund state and national promotion and research activities.

USB administers half of the collected checkoff funds, and KSC retains the other half and allocates those funds for research, market-development and educational projects to benefit Kansas soybean farmers.

For more information about USB, visit on the Web.

Interested applicants must complete and return a confidential application form to the KSC office by April 8. To request the form, contact KSC at or 1-800- 328-7390.