Last week, we received about 4 to 6.5 inches of rain. We have corn at VE to V4 and soybeans from VE to well into the first trifoliate.
The only severe storms were early Saturday morning, when we received 2 to 4.5 inches and power was knocked out for eight hours. The rest of the rain came over the previous six days. We will probably have a few spots drowned out, but nothing substantial at this point. A few fields remain in the area, but virtually nothing was moving until Monday, June 3.
Scouts were out last week, and got some of the ground covered. More scouting will be on the agenda for this week, as well as some pre-sidedress nitrogen testing to determine residual nitrogen in the soil. So far, PSNT are showing about 50 units of N left over in the soil.
Some drying weather is needed to get caught up on spraying some weed escapes. We would really like to get the sidedressers rolling.
Locating the last third of our nitrogen has been a pressing issue. We purchased enough for our starter, weed and feed, and about half our sidedress need. My advisory service forecast nitrogen prices to decline into summer. Retail prices haven't declined like wholesale prices, but they haven't gone up either. Right now I can buy 28% N for only a few dollars more than in December, about the cost of money over that time.
We are also contemplating renting a second sidedress applicator. The quick planting season and recent rainy spell is going to leave us with a compressed time frame to get the summer application done.
Are you experiencing similar issues right now? How are you coping? I'd be interested to hear about it in the comment area below.