IP Facility Finally Coming Together

Between the Fencerows

Five years in the making, we are building an identity preserved seed facility

Published on: August 21, 2013

About five years ago we re-entered the Identity Preserved Seed/Non-GMO sector.  Since that time, renovation plans for facilities at my house have been drawn up, fast-tracked, delayed, scrapped, re-drawn, put on the back burner, changed, then scrapped again many times over. 

Why? It seems on the farm we are always thinking, "Better pull in the reins...don't know what next year is going to bring." Well, that's kind of the way this project has gone.  It has been back-burner, low priority for quite a while. We've been getting by pretty well and are none the worse for it. 

With relationships solidified and new market opportunities on the horizon, now seems to be a good time to be moving forward.

Everything began to come together this year.  Based on contracts and storage needs, I ordered a small grain bin, hopper bin, and parts to move and rework a third bin.  Worst case, I figured we could still use augers this year.  Then, this spring, the Rural Electric Membership Corporation brought three-phase power past our farm, and we were able to hook in. 

After all deadlines had passed for ordering a new grain leg, we were fortunate to locate a good used unit at about a third of the cost of new.  Still not sure the project was going forward this year, there was a carry-over leg tower structure in the newspaper a couple weeks ago.  With some help from a crane, we are now poised to complete the project in time for harvest. 

There will still be quite a bit of electrical work to do, and we will need to finish the unload portion of the setup.  However, I look forward to the simplicity of the grain leg.  I won't miss climbing up and down the bins to close them up every time it threatens to rain.  Nor will I miss moving the augers every couple of days. 

Anything we can do to reduce 'stupid' from happening when we are already tired, cranky, and overworked, is a good thing.  The facility updates should certainly help to smooth some bumps out of bean harvest.

The toughest part of the whole project may be admitting that dad was right, and taking it slow worked out just fine.